Monday, January 24, 2011

There's Something to be Said for Desperation

Desperation is not one of those terms that we look at in a positive light; it's not generally a compliment to be called 'desperate'. But, I think there's much more within desperation that can lead to good. We often overlook the results that the state of desperation can bring because we put our attention into the pain of the situation, as opposed to the Glory that God can bring through it.


I believe that the point of desperation is the point when you're finally willing to let go of self, and hold onto God. As a self-declared pride-filled human (unfortunately), I know that I rely on myself for as long as I can possibly manage, before crumbling into God's arms and realizing the stupidity of my ignorance. However, the journey to that crumbling point is often one that requires a brokenness, emptiness, all to culminate in a state of desperation.


I remember someone once mentioned in their testimony that it wasn't until their back was against the wall that they finally called on God. This has always stayed with me as a salient memory that reminds me of God's faithfulness, our need for Him and how hard it is to battle against ourselves to accept our need for Him.


Despite the connotations linked to this word today, I see it as representing the opportunity for hard hearts to soften, and prodigal sons to return. Desperation is certainly not a fun season; but it is a beautiful painful season, where hearts are open, pride is broken, and God moves in a powerful way.

2 comments: